Skip Navigation
Welcome to Northborough, Massachusetts
This table is used for column layout.
View or Pay Bills Online
Online Voter Registration


  • I’m selling my house what type of inspection do I need?
  • According to Massachusetts State Law (Chap. 148 Sec 26F) all buildings or structures occupied in whole or in part for residential purposes upon the sale or transfer, shall be equipped by the seller with approved smoke detectors/ MGL Chap.148 sec. 26F. An operating smoke detector is required on every habitable level, including the basement. Finished attic spaces also need smoke detector coverage. In homes with floor space exceeding 1,200 square feet per floor, a second detector will be required.
After you have a closing date come to the fire station to request a permit and to schedule the inspection. The fee for this inspection is $50.00. Don’t wait until the last minute!
Prior to our arrival:

Make sure that your posted street number is visible from the street (MGL c.148 § 59),
Make sure that you have the proper type of alarms
Make sure all alarms are installed in the proper locations
Make sure that all alarms are working properly
Click on the Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Requirements on our
Homepage for more information.

After passing the inspection, the fire department will issue your Certificate of Compliance. This document will probably be required at the closing.

  • Why is my smoke detector beeping?
  • Usually a smoke detector that "chirps" or "beeps" about every minute needs a new battery. Batteries in smoke detectors should be replaced twice a year, traditionally on the days you set your clock forward in the spring and back in the fall. If it continues to chirp after you replace the battery, it may indicate a malfunctioning smoke detector. New smoke detectors can be purchased at hardware stores or department stores.
  • What is the best type of extinguisher for my house?
  • A multi-purpose fire extinguisher is best for the home. Look for the rating to be at least 2A 10B C on the label. This extinguisher can be used on any type of fire commonly found in the home. (It will often be labeled A-B-C.) It is recommended that an extinguisher be installed in the kitchen and in the garage
  • How do I get a copy of a fire or ambulance report?
  • Call the department at 508-393-1540 during business hours. Give your information to our Administrative Assistant and she will process your request
  • What is the difference between an EMT and Paramedic?
  • The difference between an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) and a Paramedic is a significant amount of education.  A Paramedic goes through more education and training and can provide a higher level of emergency care including invasive procedures (ALS or Advanced Life Support procedures).  A Paramedic is an EMT.  There are different levels of EMT training: EMT-Basic, EMT-Intermediate, EMT-Paramedic.  Each level requires more training and education than the prior.  A Paramedic will have upwards of 1500 hours of additional medical training over an EMT-Basic.
  • Why does the ambulance sit in front of my house after they get the patient into the back of the ambulance?
  • In many ways, an ambulance is like a mobile emergency room. The ambulance carries the same equipment as the emergency room has - and even does the same procedures as the emergency room. Sometimes, a patient needs some medication or a special procedure prior to going to the hospital. Some medical conditions need to be addressed rapidly to ensure a positive outcome for the patient.
  • Can I have a fire pit in my yard?
  • Fire pits have become popular in recent years. But unless they are being used primarily for cooking, they are technically subject to the MassDEP open burning regulation. If you do use a fire pit for cooking call the fire department, 508-393-1537, prior to burning to let them know you will be burning. The fire must be:
  • Kept to a reasonable size
  • Located away from combustible materials
  • Contained in a non-flammable enclosure, and
  • Tended by someone who is 18 years of age or older.
Remember to burn only clean, dry firewood. This will minimize the amount of smoke leaving your property and affecting neighbors. You may not burn trash, refuse or similar materials.

Northborough Town Hall  63 Main Street, Northborough, MA 01532
Hours -- Mon, Wed, Thu 8am-4pm  Tue 8am-7pm  Fri 7am-12pm
Internal Server Error

Internal Server Error

Folder template for specified resource /Pages/NorthboroughMA_Fire/FAQ could not be sent. (reason: 1015)